UMBC is working to keep you safe when you are online. This page offers a small number of resources and tips to support you. The pandemic is unique and causes daily changes to our life. In this time of major change, criminals use this confusion to prey on people. Here are a few things that every person online should know and do to stay safe.
- Be wary. If something doesn’t seem right, ask an expert. Use this form to report a security concern to UMBC’s IT Security group.
- Watch out for fake email message targeting you, this is known as phishing. To stay safe, the Federal Trade Commission has a special web site on Corona-related scams . Check this resource if you get an email or message that you want to check on.
- Have a strong password for your myUMBC account, here are tips. Never use or share your password with other people or services.
- Make sure you update your devices when security patches are released!
Other resources you can look at:
- Stay Safe Online – a resource from the National Cyber Security Alliance with many COVID resources.
- Stop. Think. Connect – A guide for students going online.
- UMBC IT Security Website – DoIT’s IT security Site.