UMBC provides a large number of instructional packages and options to support students. Some tasks are better done on a computer. Using our virtual computer lab software from eLumen, allows you to have access to software that students wouldn’t normally be expected to license. To get access click the Virtual Computer Lab FAQ for information.
As UMBC moves online for the Spring 2020 semester, we have listed some of the computer software or mobile apps that you may want to download to support your efforts in your classes. If you have questions, please enter a support ticket and we will be in contact with you.
Visit the UMBC Software Downloads page to find a list of software available to faculty, staff, and students.
Essential Software and Services
- myUMBC – Easy access to university resources like your Profile, class registration, account balance, Blackboard, online groups, and more.
- Blackboard – Access your online course content, interact with instructors and peers, post discussion, upload assignments, review instructor feedback, and participate in Blackboard Collaborate sessions.
- Office365 – Use the Microsoft Office suite online, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more.
- Google Drive and Docs – Google is free and part of UMBC’s Google Apps for Education. This software is great to use for real-time collaboration with other students.
- Webex Meetings – Everyone has their own personal Webex room with an easy to remember name https://umbc.webex.com/meet/<username>
- eLumin VDE – UMBC’s Virtual Desktop Environment available to all students 24/7
- Respondus Lockdown Browser – Complete your tests, exams, and other assessments securely. Some instructors require the use of the Respondus LockDown Browser for their assignments.
- Panopto – Watch your instructor’s recorded lecture content from inside your Blackboard course on any device. Create, edit, and upload videos through the Panopto dashboard.
- Google Meet – Quick and easy video conferencing for meeting as a group or one-on-one.
- Microsoft Teams – Chat, call, or meet with your classmates from a single application.
- Recommended Virus Protection for Mac and Windows