In addition to handling more than 25k IT support requests annually, the Division of Information Technology (DoIT) administers the same Request Tracker (RT) software used by nearly all campus service departments via the myUMBC help menu (120k tickets anticipated in FY16). Given the challenges of responding to such volume, DoIT also pioneered and curates the campus’ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) knowledgebase, to help users help themselves. As a result, support phone calls to our Technology Support Center (TSC) have been reduced 30% and DoIT’s overall RT ticket volume has decreased 3% (since FY10) or remained relatively flat while many other campus support requests have skyrocketed.
Selected Articles, Case Studies, Presentations
- “Demonstrating Value Through IT Service Management in Higher Education,” 8/29/16 EDUCAUSE Working Group paper.
- “Using FAQs to Help Users Help Themselves,” 4/8/16 SIGUCCS webinar.
- “Using FAQs to Help Users Help Themselves,” 11/10/15 SIGUCCS presentation and ACM Digital Library publication
- “It’s Not Just the IT Help Desk Anymore,” EDUCAUSE Review Online (8/5/13)
- How Good FAQs Can Help Change the Culture of IT Support (Inside and Out), 11/8/12 Educause Presentation
- IT User Support Success Stories