The Division of Information Technology has approximately 83 full time staff members and 80 undergraduate or graduate students that work each day to support the mission of UMBC through the delivery of IT services to the campus.
Our Vision: Technology is both a resource and mindset that can be used to empower our community to advance its goal of redefining excellence in higher education. Building on our existing reputation as a national thought leader and innovator we will continue to leverage technology to advance the university’s mission.
Our Mission: DoIT provides robust, secure IT environments that enable solutions for advancing the UMBC community. We do this through a staff of technology professionals that are connected both nationally and to UMBC. We advance UMBC’s mission and strategy by partnering with the colleges and divisions to support excellence in teaching, research and services. Through our efforts, technology solutions will continue to contribute to UMBC’s national reputation as one of the most innovative universities.
Supporting objectives include the following:
- Providing students with individualized and thoughtful experiences and improving their success with innovative solutions.
- Advancing the student experience and success through new and effective solutions.
- Assisting the faculty to utilize technology to provide an innovative learning environment.
- Supporting business units to operate more efficiently and effectively.
- Working closely with university research centers and faculty to provide the technologies and systems to advance their work.
- Enabling ethical, effective use of information to inform institutional decision-making.
- Ensuring a secure environment that protects the university community from ongoing cybersecurity threats, and ensures individual privacy.
We value and respect each other. Working as a team to leverage our individual strengths to deliver the best products and services possible
We value diversity. We recognize that information technology has a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) problem and work to advance DEI within DoIT and the profession.
We value community service. We are active in the UMBC, USM, and higher educational communities and participate in many ways to make each of these communities better.
We value life-long learning. We encourage professional development and value technical innovation and creativity in developing solutions.
We value collaboration. We want to be seen as a good partner by other units at UMBC in achieving its goals.
Draft: DoIT Mission and Vision – 3/15/2022