A few principles guide our approach to supporting any instructional technology:
- Technology is a tool to serve teaching and learning, not vice-versa.
- There is an inherent conflict in the pace of change between teaching and technology.
- Reflection on changing (or keeping) current practice may be technology’s biggest benefit.
- Technology should help solve a pedagogical problem or create a new learning opportunity.
- Solutions and approaches should engage students to take responsibility for learning.
- We try to help identify, support, evaluate and promote effective practices and practitioners.
- We try to connect peers and colleagues who will likely learn best from each other.
The following has influenced our own development as instructional technology support professionals:
Asst. VP, Instructional Technology & New Media
UMBC Division of Information Technology
410.455.6596 | firstname.lastname@example.org | doit.umbc.edu/itnm