DoIT’s Instructional Technology team offers support to faculty interested in enhancing their course delivery through the use of technology. A few guiding principles inform our approach:
- Technology should help solve a pedagogical problem or create a new learning opportunity.
- Solutions and approaches should encourage students to take responsibility for learning.
- We try to help identify, support, evaluate and promote effective practices and practitioners.
- We try to connect peers and colleagues who will likely learn best from each other.
- Technology is a tool to serve teaching and learning, not vice-versa.
- There is an inherent conflict in the pace of change between teaching and technology.
- Reflection on changing (or keeping) current practice may be technology’s biggest benefit.
The following has influenced our own development as instructional technology support professionals: